Selecting Varchar range.

От Daryl Beattie
Тема Selecting Varchar range.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dear PostgreSQL people,

    I didn't find this in the archives or the idocs, so...

    How does one select a varchar range? The meaning of my question is
best illustrated by the following completely hypothetical and totally
imaginary situation:
    Let's say I have a table of musical artists:

CREATE TABLE Artists (
    Id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
    Name VARCHAR(100)
);

    And I want to eventually display only the artists from 'Aa' to 'Am'.
Naturally doing a select where Name like 'A%' will not return me what I
want.
    Any ides on how to do this? [Will "SELECT Name FROM Artists WHERE
Name > 'Aa%' AND Name < 'Am%';" work?]

    Bonus question: How do I select artists whose names start with a
number?

    I'd appreciate any help. Thanks! :)

Sincerely,

    Daryl.