Re: pg_dump, shemas, backup strategy

От Michael A. Peters
Тема Re: pg_dump, shemas, backup strategy
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Please note also that Red Hat has been shipping PG 8.4 for RHEL5 for
>> awhile --- it's the postgresql84-* package set.  I would hope CentOS
>> has copied that by now.
>>

> They have, as of CentOS's 5.5 back in May, and I keep forgetting its
> there.  I'm not sure whether I like the trade-offs that come from using
> that packaging in every case yet though.  The dependency issues with
> httpd are particularly weird:
> http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.5 (last item in
> "Known Issues").  I personally would rather just replace the system
> database with the newer version directly as the PGDG yums do, but you're
> right that some might prefer to use the system one instead.

I went with the upstream postgresql RPMs. They provided a compat package
for CentOS stuff that links against older client libs, so it works out
nicely.

The reason I went with CentOS for server when I first started my project
was because I wanted a system that had long term vendor maintenance and
kept things stable rather than bleeding edge, a system that required
minimal package maintenance on my part. The postgresql yum repo allows
that.

Since PostgreSQL has a 5 year commitment to support, even though it isn't
vendor packaging I can pretty much guarantee that I'll have upgraded the
server before that time limit expires, and even if they don't provide RPMs
for that long, I can maintain the src.rpm for 8.4 series myself if I need
to (which I hope I don't).

The library version was not the issue with my php connection problem,
though building against newer client libs was probably a good idea anyway.
Still looking at it (yes I checked and double checked pg_hba.conf), I'll
figure it out.

-----
Michael A. Peters

http://www.shastaherps.org/