Re: Display of text fields

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Display of text fields
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ennio-Sr wrote:

> Further to my message of 3rd inst.
> Following your suggestion and after reading some documents, I created
> this sql script:
>
> -----
> SELECT scheda_ltr,
>     case scheda_ltr
>         when 'T' then
>         select * from bib_lt;
>     else
>         'autore, titolo, editore from bib_lt;'
>     end
>     FROM bib_lt;
> -----
> but the result is not what I was after: I get a list with either label
> according to scheda_ltr being 'T' or not!
> Is there any way, once the case is spotted, to obtain execution of the
> query relating to that case, instead of just showing the label?
> Of course I tried without the quotes obtaining parser error.

Ah - looks like I misunderstood what you were trying to do. There is no
way to have a single query return rows with different numbers of columns
- each row must be the same.

You'd have to do something like one of the following (substitute
my_memo_column with whatever your memo field was called).

SELECT
   scheda_ltr,
   autore,
   titolo,
   editore,
   CASE
     WHEN scheda_ltr = 'T' THEN my_memo_column
     ELSE 'n/a'
   END AS my_memo_column
FROM
   bib_lt;

or...

SELECT
   scheda_ltr,
   CASE
     WHEN scheda_ltr='T' THEN autore || ' / ' || titolo || ' / ' || editore
     ELSE my_memo_column
   END AS merged_columns
FROM
   bib_lt;