Re: [Compatibilty][PSQL 13][JDBC 9.1-902] Novice tries to know compatibility issues.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [Compatibilty][PSQL 13][JDBC 9.1-902] Novice tries to know compatibility issues.
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> writes:
> Pierre Brunel schrieb am 06.10.2021 um 11:11:
>> All i ask is to know if i switch to PSQL 13 is it possible to stay on 9.1-902 ? And if not why ?

> If you migrate to Postgres 13, you will have to upgrade the JDBC driver as well, as Postgres introduced
> a new authentication protocol that the outdated JDBC driver does not understand.

Well, he's not required to start using SCRAM auth right away.  I think
the bigger hazard is that some metadata queries may fail due to catalog
changes.  I don't have an old JDBC at hand, but I did quickly try psql 9.1
against a v13 server, and some things fell over:

regression=# \d mytable
ERROR:  column c.relhasoids does not exist
LINE 1: ..., c.relhasindex, c.relhasrules, c.relhastriggers, c.relhasoi...
                                                             ^

Maybe JDBC wouldn't have any problems in your usage, but you couldn't know
that except by testing.

> The better strategy would probably be to update the driver now and use the current driver with
> your Postgres 9.1 installation if you want to test for possible (although unlikely) compatibility
> issues with the driver.

Yeah, if you want a staged approach, updating the client side first might
work better.