Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> However, given that we don't do any real development on the back
> branches, it might be that trying to be smart about this is a waste of
> time anyway.  Surely only the HEAD version of the patch is going to be
> something that other developers care about merging with.

For what it's worth that's certainly not true. Any user maintaining a
patched version of the source tree for production use will want to
merge in any patches for older releases. For example anyone using the
CONNECT BY patch with 8.3 will surely want to take any 8.3 patch
releases. Of course EDB in particular has to maintain sources based on
old patch releases as well as the current branch.

That said, I don't see that this really affects the decision here.
These devleopers will just merge in the patch as it was applied to the
back branch anyways.

--
greg