Re: User-facing aspects of serializable transactions

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: User-facing aspects of serializable transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

>> Even in your environment I could easily imagine, say, a monthly job
>> delete all records older than 3 months. That job could take hours or
>> even days. It would be pretty awful for it to end up needing to be
>> retried. All I'm saying is that if you establish a policy -- perhaps
>> enforced using views -- that no queries are allowed to access
> records
>> older than 3 months you shouldn't have to worry that you'll get a
>> spurious serialization failure working with those records.
>
> You have totally lost me.  We have next to nothing which can be
> deleted after three months.  We have next to nothing which we get to
> decide is deletable.

That's reassuring for a courts system.

But i said "I could easily imagine". The point was that even in a big
complex system with thousands of queries being constantly modified by
hundreds of people, it's possible there might be some baseline rules.
Those rules can even be enforced using tools like views. So it's not
true that no programmer could ever expect that they've written their
code to ensure there's no risk of serialization failures.

--
greg