Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Aidan Van Dyk escribió:
> * Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> [090602 10:23]:
>
> >  # Bang, you suddenly have 'testfile' and 'movedfile', go figure!
> >
> > I leave it as an exercise for the reader to try the same with a single
> > historic origin of the file, as cvs2git does the conversion.
>
> Sure, and we can all construct example where that move is both right and
> wrong...  But the point is that in PostgreSQL, (and that may be mainly
> because we're using CVS), merges *aren't* something that happens.
> Patches are written against HEAD (master) and then back-patched...
>
> If you want to turn PostgreSQL devellopment on it's head, then we can
> switch this around, so that patches are always done on the oldest
> branch, and fixes always merged "forward"...

The Monotone folk call this "daggy fixes" and it seems a clean way to
handle things.

http://www.monotone.ca/wiki/DaggyFixes/

However,

> I'm not going to be the one that pushes that though ;-)

I'm not either.  Maybe someday we'll be familiar enough with the tools
to make things this way, but I think just after the migration we'll
mainly want to be able to press on with development and not waste too
much time learning the new toys.