Re: help on automatically running sql files

От Gémes Géza
Тема Re: help on automatically running sql files
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10) írta:
On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 01:33, Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10) wrote:
Hi all,
For the project that I am working on , we are using Postgresql 7.4.3 on
Linux 7.2. We have all the database tables,triggers and stored procedures
as
seperate .sql files which we want to ship as part of our software. Now
when
the user installs our software, we need to check if postmaster service is
running or not and if it is running, then we have to run the sql files
automatically. Can anyone help me out on how to run the .sql files
automatically.
Something like psql dbname <sqlfile.sql will do.  If psql isn't in the
path, then /path/to/psql dbname <sqlfile.sql

Hi Scott,
What we really require is, if we ship the .sql files as part of our software
package, the user should not do anything. The software when it installs
should automatically run the .sql files without the user intervention. We
dont want the user to check for the .sql files and run the above command
himself. We want to automate that in our software. Is that possible in
postgresql. If yes, how to do it. If no, is there any alternative solution.
I can think of one alternative that is to write a shell script.

              http://archives.postgresql.org

Your software installs somehow. Posibilities:
-Via a shell/perl install script: append at the end of the script
- Via a graphical install programm: append at the end of the programs main part as the last thing to do (easiest way (but less performant): via an exec statement)
- Via rpm/deb/whatever else: In this case the packager usualy have a postinstall part, where you can put this script, which checks for the runing postgresql instance, and then run the required .sql  files

Regards,

Geza Gemes