Re: tracking db changes / comparing databases

От Mitch Pirtle
Тема Re: tracking db changes / comparing databases
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
aplst@xs4all.nl wrote:

>How do you share the data-definitions of your project(s) when they change
>(template1) ? Do you create all system-tables at pg_init runtime, and thus
>diff the C-source?

The best approach IMHO is to use cvs and diff.  For a more PHP-centric
approach, you could look at ADOdb:

    http://adodb.sf.net/

Does a lot more than just abstract the database, also provides caching
of query results, handy utilities for building form elements, etc.  But
the most topical feature is the inclusion of the data dictionary and
ADOdb XML Schema (AXMLS):

    http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/docs-datadict.htm

Here you can use database-agnostic XML markup (and also reverse-engineer
schemas).  You can basically use this to migrate your schemas.  I am
looking into using this for the next major release of Mambo CMS for
upgrades and installs.

HTH,

-- Mitch