Re: Thousands of parallel connections

От Michal Taborsky
Тема Re: Thousands of parallel connections
Дата
Re: Thousands of parallel connections  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Is there any practical limit on the number of parallel connections that a
> PostgreSQL server can service?  We're in the process of setting up a system
> that will require up to 10000 connections open in parallel.  The query load
> is not the problem, but we're wondering about the number of connections.
> Does anyone have experience with these kinds of numbers?

No experience, but a little thinking and elementary school math tells
me, that you'd need huge amount of RAM to support 10000 connections,
since postgres is multi-process. Our typical postgres process eats 5-40
megs of memory, depending on activity. So even if it was just 5 megs,
with 10k connections we are talking about 50G of RAM. If these
connections are idle, it would be plain waste of resources.

I suggest you look into some sort of connection pooling.

--
Michal Taborsky
http://www.taborsky.cz