Re: pg_autovacuum Win32 Service Code

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: pg_autovacuum Win32 Service Code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
>>Some time ago I posted a patch to allow pg_autovacuum to be run as a
>>service on Windows, on the understanding that if pg_autovacuum didn't
>>make it into the backend, it would be applied. I followed up Tom's
>>message to Matthew apologising for not including his backend integration
>>patches with a request that the patch be applied to allow use by Windows
>>users.
>
> I held off doing anything about this for beta1 because I wanted
> Matthew's input first, and he was going to be gone over the weekend.
> Hopefully he's returned now and can comment on whether he sees any
> problem.

I am back, and caught up on email now.

I took a quick look at the patch Dave submitted to the pathes list on
5/11/04 (Let me know if I looked at the wrong one).  Without having
actually having applied the patch or tried it out, it looks OK to me.
Basically it just adds a few command line options and related code that
tells pg_autovacuum to (un)register itself as a service, adds a handler
for service manager requests and changes the the logging to use the
windows event log.

One comment: IMHO the pg_autovacuum service should probably be dependant
on the PostgreSQL service.  This will cooridinate their respective
startups and shutdowns, and will prevent pg_autovacuum from exiting with
an error message about not able to connect to the postmaster.

Dave, do you plan on having the windows installer automatically install
pg_autovacuum and setup the service?

Matthew