Re: PostgreSQL ping/pong to client

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL ping/pong to client
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Francisco Olarte <folarte@peoplecall.com> writes:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:49 PM Ajay Pratap <ajaypratap@drishti-soft.com> wrote:
>> Correction: I meant when my java application dies postgres should break all the connections that were associated
withthat peer.

> And how is the server supposed to detect that without keepalives? TCP
> is dessigned to survice for extended period of times without traffic,
> I used that a lot in the dial up times.
> And what makes you think keepalives are impactful and unrealistic? I
> use them a lot, they do not impact my workloads measurably.

If we tried to do something about that in the server code proper,
we'd basically be reinventing TCP keepalives --- probably badly.
And we couldn't do it at all without a protocol version break,
because the client-side code would also need to know about it.

Just use the keepalive facility.