Re: Version Numbering -- The great debate

От Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Тема Re: Version Numbering -- The great debate
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Version 7.5 is as close to a major release as I have seen in the almost
> 9 years I have been using PostgreSQL.
> This release brings about a lot of "enterprise" features that have been
> holding back PostgreSQL in a big way for
> for a long time.
>
> All of my serious customers; potential, existing and past has all at one
> point or another requested most if not
> all of the features being released onto the world with 7.5. In fact the
> only ones that I can think of off the top
> of my head that isn't in the current list of availables is table
> partitioning and to a lesser extent two phase commit.
>
> This release definately deserves a major version jump. If it were up to
> me it would be more than one (I would
> call it 10h for obvious reasons. O.k. the h is a joke but I am serious
> about the 10) just from a marketing
> standpoint. I could argue a major version jump just from the fact that
> we finally have a port to the most used
> operating system (regardless if that is good or bad) in the world.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

They have tried to do the same for "With Naked Gun" (I think it is
called in English). They called the second film "With Naked Gun 2 1/2".
The third version was called "33 1/3" then ...
Maybe the tenth film would be 10^256 then ...

8.0 would be ok but I am pretty against jumping version number - they
have such a pure marketing flavour ("we have a high version number but
we don't know what else we should tell you about the new release").
Database work should be "conservative" which means slowly but surely ...
- from my point of view this conflicts with pumping version numbers. I
don't think there will be one more user just because of a different
version number.

Maybe a hostily overtake of Oracle (not Firebird as mentioned by Peter)
would justify 10.0.0 ;).
Regards,
    Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria