Re: Version Numbering -- The great debate

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Version Numbering -- The great debate
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,<br /><br /> Version 7.5 is as close to a major release as I have seen in the almost 9 years I have been using
PostgreSQL.<br/> This release brings about a lot of "enterprise" features that have been holding back PostgreSQL in a
pointor another requested most if not<br /> all of the features being released onto the world with 7.5. In fact the
onlyones that I can think of off the top <br /> of my head that isn't in the current list of availables is table
partitioningand to a lesser extent two phase commit.<br /><br /> This release definately deserves a major version jump.
Ifit were up to me it would be more than one (I would<br /> call it 10h for obvious reasons. O.k. the h is a joke but I
amserious about the 10) just from a marketing <br /> standpoint. I could argue a major version jump just from the fact
thatwe finally have a port to the most used <br /> operating system (regardless if that is good or bad) in the
cite="mid4010.1091319264@sss.pgh.pa.us"type="cite"><pre wrap="">Josh Berkus <<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"

Savepoints are in, as is exception-trapping in functions (at least
plpgsql, the other PLs are on their own :-().

Some other major improvements you didn't mention:

Cross-datatype comparisons are indexable (at least for common
combinations); this solves a huge performance gotcha

Dependency-aware pg_dump

Much more complete support for rowtype operations

release

before -- and if you consider several add-ons which have been
implemented/improved at the same time (Slony, PL/Java, etc.) it's even more
I tend to agree, and was about to bring up the point myself.

+1-503-667-4564 - <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:jd@commandprompt.com">jd@commandprompt.com</a> - <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext"href="http://www.commandprompt.com">http://www.commandprompt.com</a>

PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL</pre>