Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery
Список pgsql-admin
Here is one for the 'idiot proof' category:

1) initdb and set archive_command
2) shutdown
3) do a backup
4) startup and run some transactions
5) shutdown and remove PGDATA
6) restore backup
7) startup

Obviously this does not work as the backup is performed with the
database shutdown.

This got me wondering for 2 reasons:

1) Some alternative database servers *require* a procedure like this to
enable their version of PITR - so the potential foot-gun thing is there.

2) Is is possible to make the recovery kick in even though pg_control
says the database state is shutdown?