Re: Very strange Error in Updates

От Dario V. Fassi
Тема Re: Very strange Error in Updates
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Server 7.3.4  for W2K and Linux too.
Encoding SQL_ASCII  in both cases.

I understand the source of the problem  , but the ASCII encoding  are not 7 bits , it has 8 bits with international charsets in codepages, like values in examples.
You are talking about US-ASCII charset , that is a Unicode subset of 7 bits.

No matter that , and speaking in CHARS , if  I'm putting a 30 chars length string at a field of 30 chars length ,
I think that the driver can/must assure, a 30 chars length string transfer.
May be a "data truncation" warning can be acceptable, or a replacement byte/char, or cutting the eight bit ,
but it's no sufficient reason to abort the update.

What 's your opinion ?

Dario.