Re: Default Locale in initdb

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Default Locale in initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>> This has bitten me a couple times. In what version did it change?
>>
>> My feeling, and I'd like to see what everyone else thinks, is that if
>> you
>> do not specify a locale, you get "C."
>

> I think that initdb should default to something, and do the following:
>
> * Have an explicit warnign if no locale specified, and what it is
> defaulting to
>
> * Same for encoding.  NO-ONE knows about the -E option when they first
> use postgres.  Trust me on this.
>
> * Same for -W.  NO-ONE knows this exists.  Then they change their
> trusts to md5 and they can't login to their postgres account anymore.

Of these, encoding can be overridden when you create a db, and the
password issue can be recovered from very quickly. Only the lc-ctype and
lc-collate settings are written in stone by initdb. So I think we can
split up the cases.

ISTM there's a good case for defaulting at least lc-collate and lc-ctype
to "C" rather than whatever the environment says (the other locale
settings can be reset in the config file anyway).

cheers

andrew