Re: make == as = ?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: make == as = ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO wrote:

>>>From my point of view, my students come from a java first course, so they
>>>have to learn again some new syntax and new operators. Small stuff, but
>>>it can help to say "same as java" and go on to new concepts.
>>>

>>Don't you want them to learn SQL?
>>

>I want to teach them the concepts: relations, views, relationnal algebra,
>aggregation and so on, and how to build a resonnable schema from a
>real-world problem.
>
>I do not consider whether the comparison is == or = as a key issue.
>
>Moreover, there are many SQL flavors around, so whatever the detailed
>syntax I learn them, it won't be the one they will have to face if the
>database they use is different. So why bother?
>
>That's just my view.

My sister is a teacher - she has a bumper sticker that reads
"Monolinguism is curable".

There is a special display in my imaginary hall of fame of bad design
decisions for the use of = and == in C and its blind adoption by C++,
Java, Perl, etc, along with the associated use of "expr ;" as a statement.

That's my view ;-)

cheers

andrew