Re: unimplemented functions

От Bill Montgomery
Тема Re: unimplemented functions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
chris@zenmgt.com wrote:

> I'm new to postgres and pgadmin3 (on Windows XP).
>
> I've just tried to make a change to a table using pgAdmin3 (1.0.2) and
> I get:-
>
> ---------------------------
> pgAdmin III
> ---------------------------
> An error has occured:
>
> ERROR:  adding columns with defaults is not implemented
> HINT:  Add the column, then use ALTER TABLE SET DEFAULT.
>
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> When will this be fixed? Is this the right forum for discussing
> unimplemented fuctions? Is there somewhere or someone specific to
> point is out with?

Chris,

This isn't a pgadmin bug--it is a limitation of Postgres. You can't add
a column to a table *and* set a default value for it all in one
statement. Try the hint that is given: add the column, then alter the
column to set the default value. You can read the details of using the
ALTER command in the Postgres online documentation.

Regards,

Bill Montgomery