Re: Log rotation

От Fernando Nasser
Тема Re: Log rotation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor wrote:
>>>I can see that in a multipostmaster setting how you might want some
>>>differentiation between postmasters, but ISTM that the tool reading these
>>>logs should be trained in how to separate loglines out. <snip>
>>
>>Different postmasters = different conf files. Just set your syslog_facility
>>and/or your syslog_ident differently and it should be pretty easy to seperate
>>the logs.  Actually, now that I have started using syslog fairly regularly, I
>

> Not that I'm volunteering, but I think the biggest issue is many users
> simply don't know how to approach the problem. Some docs on using
> syslog, cron, etc. with PostgreSQL to accomplish maintenace jobs would
> probably be enough.

It is very easy to setup logging with the Control Center tool.  Except
that it does not handle the /etc/syslog.conf bit (you have to add the
entry to get a specific LOCAL to a specific file by hand.

Maybe someone could make some measurements to desmistify the performance
impact of syslog.  There is this generalized belief in IS departments
that should minimize it.  Perhaps is an old fud that is not anylonger true.

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300