Re: Postgres and multiprocessor?

От Juan Miguel
Тема Re: Postgres and multiprocessor?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
>>Can PostgreSQL use multiple processors if they are present in a
>>computer, and if so, how much will it speed up database server? Tnx in
>>advance.

Linux OS, can explode multiprocessors servers, therefore, each session
on postgres (a session = a process), can be allocated in a processor.
Multiple processors can help you, if you have a great number of sessions
(concurrently users connected to the database performing queries or
transactions). For example, if you have 2 CPUs, then the system can run
2 sessions at the same time (really this is not true, there are problems
acceding the buses, hardisk, raid, cache,...). If the operations are
heavy loaded calcs, then it helps your performance(throughput).

Even so, often, in theory, when you need a high number of concurrent
sessions, it's better to increase your RAM, speed up your busses or HDs,
change your filesystems or your RAID, ... or making a cluster with some
servers (I want to create a DB postgres cluster with two linux boxes,
for balancing the load)