Re: Sigh, 7.3.6 rewrap not right

От David Garamond
Тема Re: Sigh, 7.3.6 rewrap not right
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Steve Crawford wrote:
>>>Please, don't call it 7.3.6.  Streamlining releases is terrible.
>>>7.3.7 or 7.3.6.1 or SOMETHING other than 7.3.6, and just let
>>>7.3.6 be a brown paper bag release (like 6.4.1 was).
>>
>>There were no code-change differences in this rewrap, so I see no
>>real need to change the version number.
>
> I have to agree with Lamar et. al. The _code_ may not have changed but
> the "product" did and the version number should reflect that.

I second this. As someone has said, we should probably use the -rc
mechanism in the future (changing the versioning from 7.3.6 into 7.3.6.1
has a greater chance of breaking things). Allow at least one week before
the final -rc turns into final. The last -rc will be byte-to-byte
identical with the final, we just rename it. *If* the final turns out to
contain some stupid mistake, we'll just have to make 7.3.7...

Once something is released, it should not change at all.

--
dave