Re: Sigh, 7.3.6 rewrap not right

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: Sigh, 7.3.6 rewrap not right
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 04 March 2004 7:28 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> writes:
> > Please, don't call it 7.3.6.  Streamlining releases is terrible.
> > 7.3.7 or 7.3.6.1 or SOMETHING other than 7.3.6, and just let
> > 7.3.6 be a brown paper bag release (like 6.4.1 was).
>
> There were no code-change differences in this rewrap, so I see no
> real need to change the version number.

I have to agree with Lamar et. al. The _code_ may not have changed but
the "product" did and the version number should reflect that.

This issue was discussed in InfoWorld a couple years back. I don't
recall reading a single comment from someone who felt this practice
benefitted them but there were plenty of tales of pain an frustration
caused by even seemingly small changes between versions.

Perhaps the fourth digit could represent non-code related updates such
as documentation and packaging fixes.

Cheers,
Steve