Re: Odd pg dump error: cache lookup failure

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Odd pg dump error: cache lookup failure
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> On 2020-Oct-21, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think the "test for that capability" bit needs more subtlety.

> Great ideas, thanks -- all adopted in the attached version.  I didn't
> test this with 9.5 but as you say NOWAIT is already supported there and
> the command itself does work.

OK, looking a bit harder this time:

1. I think this bit in LockViewRecurse_walker must be removed as well:

            /* Currently, we only allow plain tables or views to be locked. */
            if (relkind != RELKIND_RELATION && relkind != RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE &&
                relkind != RELKIND_VIEW)
                continue;

(Mostly, stuff in views would be ordinary tables anyway ... but
foreign tables are a possible exception.)

2. Should we add anything to the LOCK TABLE reference page?  I see nothing
there now that bears on this change, but ...

3. Is hard-coding #define's for ERRCODEs actually the best we can do here?
I guess it is right now, but ugh.  Seems like we ought to find a way for
frontend code to make use of errcodes.h.  Not a matter for this patch
though.

4. You neglected to change the table name in the warn_or_exit_horribly
error message.

> Testing for a view as I was doing was not good, because PG12 does allow
> locks on views.  I decided to use pg_aggregate_fnoid_index because it's
> easier for manual tests: it doesn't prevent connecting to the database
> when a strong lock is held.  This in contrast with other more obvious
> candidates.  It's a pretty arbitrary choice but it shouldn't harm
> anything since we don't actually hold the lock for more than an instant,
> and that only if it's not contended.

There might be some value in using one of pg_class's indexes instead,
mainly because the parser will surely need to touch that on the way
to performing the LOCK, while pg_aggregate is far afield.  Given the
limited range of PG versions that we'll ever need to perform the check
for, I don't think there's much risk in using any well-known index
from a version-compatibility standpoint; but acquiring locks across
different catalogs could conceivably risk some issues vs a VACUUM
FULL or the like.

Other than these points, it seems committable.

Сообщение: Re: Odd pg dump error: cache lookup failure
Сообщение: Re: Odd pg dump error: cache lookup failure