Re: Out of space situation and WAL log pre-allocation (was

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: Out of space situation and WAL log pre-allocation (was
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I think also that Simon completely misunderstood my intent in saying
> that this could be "user-scriptable policy".  By that I meant that the
> *user* could write the code to behave whichever way he liked.  Not that
> we were going to go into a mad rush of feature invention and try to
> support every combination we could think of.  I repeat: code that pushes
> logs into a secondary area is not ours to write.  We should concentrate
> on providing an API that lets users write it.  We have only limited
> manpower for this project and we need to spend it on getting the core
> functionality done right, not on inventing frammishes.

Hmm... I totally agree. I think the backend could just offer a shared memory
segment and a marker message to another process to allow copy from it. then it
is the applications business to do the things.

Of course there has to be a two way agreement about it but an API is a real nice
thing rather than an application.
 Shridhar