Re: Out of space situation and WAL log pre-allocation (was Tablespaces)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Out of space situation and WAL log pre-allocation (was Tablespaces)
Дата
Re: Out of space situation and WAL log pre-allocation (was Tablespaces)  ("Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> O... and other dbms will freeze when this situation is hit, rather
>> than continue and drop archive logs.]

> Been there, done that, don't see how it's any better. I hesitate to be
> real specific here, but let's just say the end result was restore from
> backup :-(

It's hard for me to imagine a situation in which killing the database
would be considered a more attractive option than dropping old log
data.  You may or may not ever need the old log data, but you darn well
do need a functioning database.  (If you don't, you wouldn't be going to
all this work.)

I think also that Simon completely misunderstood my intent in saying
that this could be "user-scriptable policy".  By that I meant that the
*user* could write the code to behave whichever way he liked.  Not that
we were going to go into a mad rush of feature invention and try to
support every combination we could think of.  I repeat: code that pushes
logs into a secondary area is not ours to write.  We should concentrate
on providing an API that lets users write it.  We have only limited
manpower for this project and we need to spend it on getting the core
functionality done right, not on inventing frammishes.