Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle

От Divakar Singh
Тема Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle
Дата
Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle  (Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com>)
Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hello Experts,
My application uses Oracle DB, and makes use of OCI interface.
I have been able to develop similar interface using postgreSQL library.
However, I have done some tests but results for PostgreSQL have not been encouraging for a few of them.

My questions/scenarios are:

1. How does PostgreSQL perform when inserting data into an indexed (type: btree) table? Is it true that as you add the indexes on a table, the performance deteriorates significantly whereas Oracle does not show that much performance decrease. I have tried almost all postgreSQL performance tips available. I want to have very good "insert" performance (with indexes), "select" performance is not that important at this point of time.

2. What are the average storage requirements of postgres compared to Oracle? I inserted upto 1 million records. The storage requirement of postgreSQL is almost double than that of Oracle.

Thanks in anticipation.