Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle

От Josh Kupershmidt
Тема Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Divakar Singh <dpsmails@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1. How does PostgreSQL perform when inserting data into an indexed (type:
> btree) table? Is it true that as you add the indexes on a table, the
> performance deteriorates significantly whereas Oracle does not show that
> much performance decrease. I have tried almost all postgreSQL performance
> tips available. I want to have very good "insert" performance (with
> indexes), "select" performance is not that important at this point of time.

I don't claim to have any experience with Oracle, but this boast
smells fishy. See for example Figure 3-2 (pp. 57-58) in "The Art of
SQL", where the author presents simple charts showing the performance
impact upon INSERTs of adding indexes to a table in Oracle and MySQL:
they're both in the same ballpark, and the performance impact is
indeed significant. As Joshua Drake suggests, table schemas and test
results would help your case.

Josh

Сообщение: Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle
Сообщение: Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle