Re: pg_restore - table restoration

От Day, David
Тема Re: pg_restore - table restoration
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I note for the observed failure of pg_restore -c -a -t,
I have worked around this by performing a
Truncate operation on the tables prior to invoking
pg_restore with a simpler -a -t option combination.

If this matter needs to be reposted as bug or needs
further action/information from me,  please advise.

Thanks

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver [mailto:adrian.klaver@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:33 AM
To: Day, David; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pg_restore - table restoration

On 01/14/2014 06:06 AM, Day, David wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> Thanks for confirming my observations.
>
> My hope was that I would be able to create one archive file with
> pg_dump -Fc, which at a future time could be used to do either a total
> restoration or partial restorations via options of pg_restore; ie. Not
> to have create addeded specialized pg_dump for each recovery case.
>
> I had as you suggested observed stdout of my test cases.

Actually my suggestion was to use -f which captures the restore into a file. This creates something you can look at
leisure:)

> a.) pg_restore -c -t tbl1 -t tbl2  archive_file There are no SQL
> CONSTRAINT or TRIGGER statements related to these
> 2 tables.
> When I add the "-d my_db" it confirms that table is restored, But with
> no constraints and no triggers.
>
> b.) pg_restore -c -v -a -t tbl2 -t tbl2 archive_file As previously
> noted I get verbose indication that the table data is being dropped.
> However there are no SQL commands that would cause that ( DELETE or
> TRUNCATE )

Yes, it is outputting dropping TABLE DATA, where TABLE DATA is a command I am not familiar with and which does not show
upin the dump file.

> The attempt ends up failing as the table ends up with duplicated data.
> This ( -a -c ) would be a nice combination of pg_restore as pg_dump as I recall
> does not allow for that combination.

 From what I see it does not actually 'drop' the table data, so you are
just doing a COPY over existing data.

--