Re: Multiple WALs for PITR ?

От Goulet, Dick
Тема Re: Multiple WALs for PITR ?
Список pgsql-admin

Oracle Certified 8i DBA
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kleiser [mailto:mkl@webde-ag.de]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 4:38 AM
To: simon@2ndquadrant.com
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Multiple WALs for PITR ?

Goulet, Dick wrote:
> As an Oracle DBA primarily, moving more towards PostGreSQL as time
> passes, the "alter system switch logfile" command is very often used
> at the end of a hot backup to force a logfile switch and consequently
> provide a full archive log set.  The command causes the database
> engine to cease using the current online redo log and have it archived

> to the archive log destination.  This is the only way to be sure that
> all required archive logs are present in a backup to reconstitute the
> database at another location.
>

> Dick Goulet
> Senior Oracle DBA
> Oracle Certified 8i DBA

I heared about some RAIDs saying "yes your data is on disk"
to the oracle-database, but it wasn't so.
So Oracle can't do a complete restore.
The solution was to store the redo-log-files (=WALS) to local attached
disk, but of course redundant on multiple disks.
But other oracle-dba use RAIDs to store the redo-logs with no problems.

>  >
>  > Is threre an equivalent to Oracles "ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE" ?
>  >

> Not currently.
>
> Again, if you can say why we might want that, it can also be added -
> other than "they have it, so we want it too" :-)

In the online-backup-strategie described in
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/backup-online.html#BACKUP-
ARCHIVING-WAL
thre must be a special attention fir active WAL, if one want to backup
it also.
With  "ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE" one could make it to a not active
WAL.
This would make it easier to backup it, especially if one want to use
backups-programms like amanda.
If there where multiple redundant WALs, one could compare them as a
consistency-check.
But this is only possible if nobody writes to the compared files.

> This is a likely addition for 8.1, since we will most likely want to
> archive xlog files every N minutes, whatever the transaction rate,
> allowing people to specify a maximum period of data loss - but this
> seemed like an enhancement rather than a definite feature for 8.0

Great!

Regards
   Michael Kleiser

TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if
your
      joining column's datatypes do not match