Re: Multiple WALs for PITR ?

От Goulet, Dick
Тема Re: Multiple WALs for PITR ?
Список pgsql-admin

From: simon@2ndquadrant.com [mailto:simon@2ndquadrant.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 5:36 PM
To: mkl@webde-ag.de
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Multiple WALs for PITR ?

Michael Kleiser <mkl@webde-ag.de> wrote on 06.10.2004, 16:29:08:
> I wan`t to use Point in Time Recovery
> I allread read
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/backup-online.html#BACKU
> P-ARCHIVING-WAL

Good!

> But I still wonder, if it is possible for PostgreSQL 8.0 to write
> multiple, redundant WAL-Files like Oracles with its redo-log-groups ?

Not currently.

That was something I considered, though in the end lacked both
implementation time and justification for.

If you can explain why you think that might be necessary, I'd be happy
to consider it for v8.1.

RAID-10 seems a good solution for me...

> Is threre an equivalent to Oracles "ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE" ?

Not currently.

Again, if you can say why we might want that, it can also be added -
other than "they have it, so we want it too" :-)

This is a likely addition for 8.1, since we will most likely want to
archive xlog files every N minutes, whatever the transaction rate,
allowing people to specify a maximum period of data loss - but this
seemed like an enhancement rather than a definite feature for 8.0

> Thanks
> Michael Kleiser

Glad you're interested. Your questions show you understand - good luck.

Best Regards

Simon Riggs

TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if
your
      joining column's datatypes do not match