PG on Suse

От Fabio Serra
Тема PG on Suse
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,
I'm not a Linux Guru and I'm trying to install PG 7.1.3 on Suse 7.2.
Unfortunately SuSe  has not prepared a packet yet and the last Suse version
is 7.0.3.
In any case, I have some questions to do a good job.

1) Is it better to install from source or from SRPM ?
2) Where have I to put the binaries and data ?
I know the default are: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/  and /usr/local/pgsql/data/
but SUSE use  /usr/bin/  and /var/lib/pgsql/data.
3) Can I make a simple ./configure or is better to use any command line
options?
4) To start postgres at system startup can I mantain the postgres Suse
script for the 7.0.3. version or I have to make a script by myself?
5) If now I install PG from source, do I need to reinstall PG when Suse
releases the upgrade ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
FABIO SERRA - faser(at)faser.net
PGP available