Re: Database over multiple drives

От David Lizano
Тема Re: Database over multiple drives
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
>On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 10:37:26AM +0200, David Lizano wrote:
> > You can't do it with Postgres. To do it, Postgres must implement
> > "tablespaces" to spread the database in different localizations (who
> can be
> > different physical localizations, of course). Then a table can be assigned
> > to a tablespace.
>
>Sure you can.
>You can move some files to a different drive, and put a symlink in the
>original directory.
>
>Or, if you have an operatingsystem that has an logical volume manager,
>you can concatenate several disks, use striping or whatever, to get a
>logical device that spans several physical devices.

Yes, you can do it, but it should be managed by the RDBMS, so it isn't the
optimal solution. Of course a RAID of disk improve the I/O perfomance.

If the RDBMS implements "tablespaces" is easier also to make a backup in a
big database.

Сообщение: Re: Database over multiple drives
Сообщение: Re: Database over multiple drives