Re: performance "tests"

От Naomi Walker
Тема Re: performance "tests"
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
 From my many years of Informix knowledge, we noticed that checkpoints,
during high activity times, did take a long time, because it locked the
shared memory segment.  We found that setting the checkpoint knobs to flush
almost constantly, overall, was much better for performance.

Looking in postgresql.conf, it seems that some tweaking of :
CHECKPOINT_SEGMENTS and CHECKPOINT_TIMEOUT are in order.

I also see some interesting items in the WAL_* configuration parameters,
and would look at these as well.  Again, in Informix-speak, we were able to
control when the buffers flushed to disk, with parameters like:
                         Start flushing buffers when they are X% full
                            and keep flushing until they are X% full

Overall, having TONS of buffers helped benchmark performance, but could
have slowed down checkpoints had we not continually flushed to disk.

--
Naomi Walker
Chief Information Officer