Re: Packages are needed

От Jean-Michel POURE
Тема Re: Packages are needed
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>No argument here.  But the proposed Oracle "packages" are something
>completely different and don't solve any of the problems you list.

Hello,

I agree packages are not designed primarily for library installation. I
also agree packages might need dependency checking. But packages can be
dumped easily and have initialization functions. Therefore, IMHO, why not
use them as library installers?

At the moment, there is only one PostgreSQL set of libraries available:
OpenACS. On a marvelous development tool like PostgreSQL, there should be
many more. Remember, MS Windows succeeded because of MS Office. What is
PostgreSQL without a strong set of software libraries and applications?

PostgreSQL is mostly designed by AND for hackers. This is cultural reality
which I do not blame. I remember users posting features requests about
ALTER TABLES DROP COLUMN. Some answers we like "OK, this can be done, but
what for?". Same as for packages as far as I can read the latest posts.

Cheers, Jean-Michel