Re: Postgresqlism & Vacuum?

От Charles Tassell
Тема Re: Postgresqlism & Vacuum?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
This may be a dumb question, since I have no idea how the core of Postgres
is actually implemented, but couldn't the VACUUM command be done within a
transaction, or something similar, so that it doesn't lock the table while
running?  Of course it would be slightly out of date if write actions
(insert/update/delete/drop) were done during the process, but not much more
than it would be if these actions were taken a few seconds after the vacuum
was finished.

I don't see having to vacuum analyze the database every once in  a while as
a big problem, but the fact that it completely locks the table from even
read access while it's running is a bit scary.

BTW: Does dropping the indexes on a table then recreating them achieve the
same affect as doing a VACUUM ANALYZE, minus the garbage collection?  Or
does create index just define the index, and the next vacuum analyze
actually populate it?