ctags problem

От Jeroen van Vianen
Тема ctags problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:24 Tom Lane wrote:>> About ctags: is no one using Linux and ctags on the Postgres sources? Am
I>>the first one to find this bug?>>Apparently you're a little new to the world of portable software.>I don't use ctags
myself,being an Emacs man rather than a vi'er,>but a few minutes' research yielded the following results:>>GNU ctags
(fromEmacs 19.34 distribution): -a, -d, -t, -f accepted.>>HPUX ctags (which claims to be based on the original UCB code
and>compliantto XPG4 standard): -a, -t, but no -d nor -f.>>SunOS 4.1: same as HPUX.>>RedHat 4.2 Linux: comes with
somethingcalled "Exuberant Ctags, Version>1.5" which accepts all four (apparently this is NOT the same code as the>GNU
distribution).>>>WhateverLinux you're running: evidently only -a and -f.>>>I don't know which variant of ctags you're
running,but it's definitely>odd man out as far as not accepting -t goes.  I'd certainly want to use>- -d (index
#defines)anywhere it was accepted, too.  Other side of the>coin is that -a is the only one of these switches that works
onall the>ctags versions I was able to lay my hands on in five minutes plus yours.>That should give you some pause
aboutasserting that if -a -f is the>right incantation for the version you have, then it must be the right>thing for
everybody.

This is the version I'm using

Exuberant Ctags 3.2.2, by Darren Hiebert <darren@hiebert.com>

Usage: ctags [options] [file(s)]
  -a   Append the tags to an existing tag file.  -B   Use backward searching patterns (?...?).  -e   Output tag file
foruse with Emacs.  -f <name>       Output tags to the specified file (default is "tags"; or "TAGS"       if -e is
specified).If specified as "-", tags are written to       standard output.  -F   Use forward searching patterns (/.../)
(default). -h <list>       Specifies a list of file extensions used for headers.       The default list is
tokensto be specially handled is read from either the       command line or the specified file.  -L <file>       A list
ofsource file names are read from the specified file.       If specified as "-", then standard input is read.  -n
Equivalentto --excmd=number.  -N   Equivalent to --excmd=pattern.  -o   Alternative for -f.  -p <path>       Default
pathto use for all (relative path) filenames.  -R   Equivalent to --recurse=yes.  -u   Equivalent to --sort=no.  -V
Enableverbose messages describing actions on each source file.  -x   Print a tabular cross reference file to standard
output. --append=[yes|no]       Indicates whether tags should be appended to existing tag file       (default=no).
--c-types=types      Specifies a list of C/C++ language tag types to include in the       output file. "Types" is a
groupof one-letter flags designating       types of tags to either include or exclude from the output. Each
letteror group of letters may be preceded by either '+' (default,       if omitted) to add it to those already
included,or '-' to exclude       it from the output. In the absence of any preceding '+' or '-'       sign, only those
typeslisted in "types" will be included in the       output. Tags for the following language contructs are supported
  (types are enabled by default except as noted):          c   classes          d   macro definitions          e
enumerators(values inside an enumeration)          f   function definitions          g   enumeration names          m
class,struct, and union members          n   namespaces          p   function prototypes [off]          s   structure
names         t   typedefs          u   union names          v   variable definitions          x   external variable
declarations[off]       In addition, the following modifiers are accepted:          A   record the access of members
intothe tag file [off]          C   include extra, class-qualified tag entries for members [off]  --etags-include=file
   Include reference to 'file' in Emacs-style tag file (requires -e).  --excmd=number|pattern|mix       Uses the
specifiedtype of EX command to locate tags (default=mix).  --eiffel-types=types       Specifies a list of Eiffel
languagetag types to be included in the       output. See --c-types for the definition of the format of "types".
Tagsfor the following Eiffel language contructs are supported       (types are enabled by default except as noted):
    c   classes          f   features          l   local entities [off]  --file-scope=[yes|no]       Indicates whether
tagsscoped only for a single file (e.g. "static"       tags) should be included in the output (default=yes).
--file-tags=[yes|no]      Indicates whether tags should be generated for source file names       (default=no).
--format=level      Forces output of specified tag file format (default=2).  --fortran-types=types       Specifies a
listof Fortran language tag types to be included in the       output. See --c-types for the definition of the format of
"types".      Tags for the following Fortran language contructs are supported       (all are enabled by default):
  b   block data          c   common blocks          e   entry points          f   functions          i   interfaces
     l   labels          m   modules          m   namelists          p   programs          s   subroutines          t
derivedtypes  --help       Prints this option summary.  --if0=[yes|no]       Indicates whether code within #if 0
conditionalbranches should       be examined for tags (default=no).  --java-types=types       Specifies a list of Java
languagetag types to be included in the       output. See --c-types for the definition of the format of "types".
Tagsfor the following Java language contructs are supported (all       are enabled by default):          c   classes
     f   fields          i   interfaces          m   methods          p   packages       In addition, the following
modifiersare accepted:          A   record the access of fields into the tag file [off]          C   include extra,
class-qualifiedtag entries for fields [off]  --kind-long=[yes|no]       Indicates whether verbose tag descriptions are
placedinto tag file       (default=no).  --lang=[c|c++|eiffel|fortran|java]       Forces specified language, disabling
automaticselection.  --langmap=map(s)       Overrides the default mapping of language to source file extension.
--line-directives=[yes|no]      Indicates whether #line directives should be processed (default=no).  --links=[yes|no]
    Indicates whether symbolic links should be followed (default=yes).  --recurse=[yes|no]       Recurse into
directoriessupplied on command line (default=no).  --sort=[yes|no]       Indicates whether tags should be sorted
(default=yes). --totals=[yes|no]       Prints statistics about source and tag files (default=no).  --version
Printsa version identifier to standard output.

So, it's strange that my version doesn't have the -d and -t options any
longer (What's -t for?), unlike the 1.5 version in RH4.2.
>Bottom line here is that what we probably really need is a configurable>makefile macro for the ctags switches.  (In
fact,what I'd personally>like is another macro to determine whether we're using ctags or etags in>the first place ;-).)
But short of that, I'd definitely lean towards>the GNU definition as being the most widespread code.  I'm
pretty>surprisedthat your Linux distribution (which one is it?) seems to>contain a non-GNU-compatible ctags.

I run SuSE 6.2.

Cheers,

Jeroen

От: Vince Vielhaber
Сообщение: RE: [HACKERS] Mail list archive search busted?
От: wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Anyone for prettyprinted EXPLAIN VERBOSE?