Re: backup postgresql with snapshot AWS

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: backup postgresql with snapshot AWS
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 23/01/2018 13:02, flumbador@virgilio.it wrote:
> Hi
> I confirm that we have only one EBS volume, but Postgresql spans multiple filesystem on that EBS volume.
> Filesystems are:
>
> /pgsql/pdbabe/data      => PGDATA
> /pgsql/pdbabe/tsdata    => Tablespace Data
> /pgsql/pdbabe/tsindex   => Tablespace Index
> /pgsql/pdbabe/tstemp    => Tablespace temporary
> /pgsql/pdbabe/xlog      => pg_xlog

filesystem != directory. Do a
% df /pgsql/pdbabe/* | sort -u
to show you all filesystems involved. Might be only one.

> But all on the same EBS Volume.
> Does snapshot work fine in this scenario?
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Gabriele
>
>> Il 19 gennaio 2018 alle 20.39 Rui DeSousa <rui.desousa@icloud.com> ha scritto:
>>

>>> IMHO the more you intertwine things you cannot be certain of because they operate outside of your particular VM's
spacewith a process that relies on them the more you are risking finding out that your assumptions are wrong the hard
way. You *shouldn't* get bit by this in a well-designed cloud or cluster system but that's not an acceptable word to
describethe expected results when it's important.

>> One needs to understand their technology stack. You need to know where your data is after a sync() call… is it
cachedin the controller, some other application layer, or safely on disk? You also need to understand the relationship
betweenluns, volume managers, and filesystems and where your atomic operation are in your setup.

>> i.e. If the filesystem spans multiple EBS volumes then you can’t use EBS snapshots otherwise you end up with a
corruptedfilesystem/database; however, if you use one filesystem per EBS volume then EBS snapshots work fine.  Amazon’s
ownRDS service uses EBS snapshots for backups.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Сообщение: Re: backup postgresql with snapshot AWS
Сообщение: Re: backup postgresql with snapshot AWS