Re: Authentication & connection problems

От chris smith
Тема Re: Authentication & connection problems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>  Here's the deal. For example, when trying to connect to an existing
> databas, or even
>  creating a new one with the command createdb [dbname],
>  different error occurs.

What errors exactly? We can't guess..

>  Another example: when running the command psql,
>  entering the password and hitting enter,
>  the following error message occur:
>
>  psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "Christo"

Unless you created the user as "Christo" you should use christo -
postgresql is case insensitive unless you put it in quotes.

>  Similarly, when testing the TCP/IP connection with the
>  command psql -U DATABASENAME -W -h localhost the following message shows up
>  psql: FATAL:  database "dspace" does not exist

-U is for username, not database name.

Since you're not specifying a database name, it will try to use the
same as the username (which you're passing in incorrectly).

So that's the same as:

psql -U dbname -W -h localhost dbname

which is probably not what you want.

--