Re: Repmgr 4, 2 primary servers in cluster

От Boriss Mejias
Тема Re: Repmgr 4, 2 primary servers in cluster
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello Kurt,

When you promote a standby node to become primary, you cannot just reconnect the
old primary to become a new standby. Both are now separated servers. Both are
primary nodes.

In the context of repmgr, to reuse the old server as a new standby, you will
have to first unregister the old primary with:

repmgr primary unregister --node-id <theid>

More info here: https://repmgr.org/docs/4.1/repmgr-primary-unregister.html

Once it's unregistered you have two choices:

- Either you rebuild a new standby instance on the same server with 'repmgr
standby clone'

- or more complex, but useful for large databases, you manually synchronize the
existing instance with rsync (while doing a base backup), and create the correct
'recovery.conf' file. Then 'repmgr standby register' with the correct information.

Now, if you are interested in a planned switchover, repmgr also has a command
for that:

https://repmgr.org/docs/4.1/performing-switchover.html

I hope that helps

Cheers