PostgreSQL on Windows (again)

От nospam@nospam.nospam (Steve Jorgensen)
Тема PostgreSQL on Windows (again)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ok, please forgive my bone-head, not even a newby yet questions.

I need to set up PostgreSQL on Windows, and create a step-by-step set
up instructions for a team ov people I'm working with who will need to
do the same.

I tried out the Install version at
http://208.160.255.143/pgsql/pgsql.exe and decided it was way too
badly behaved, so I'll have to learn to install it the harder way.  I
see that PostgreSQL 7.1 RC2 is now dowloadable as part of Cygwin and
the Cygwin tools, but I'm having some problems.

First, it seems pretty clear that the Cygwin setup untars a directory
for PostgreSQL into the Cygwin root, but does not install it.  I tried
following the instructions in the INSTALL file, and the first thing it
says to do is run ./configure.  I ran it, and got many promising
messages, then an error telling me the C compiler cannot create
executables (I pasted the output at the bottom of this post).

The next question I have is that I know PostgreSQL will require Cygipc
to be running, and it seems odd that the Cygwin installer includes,
PostgreSQL, but has no mention of Cygipc at all.  To find any mention
of Cygipc, I had to randomly poke around until I found
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/index.html.
I'm just still not sure if I need that, or if Cygipc is somehow hidden
in my current Cygwin installation or is, perhaps, supposed to be
installed by the PostgreSQL installation if I could make it work.

Output from ./configure (same on Windows 2K and 98):

$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking which template to use... win
checking whether to build with locale support... no
checking whether to build with recode support... no
checking whether to build with multibyte character support... no
checking whether to build with Unicode conversion support... no
checking for default port number... 5432
checking for default soft limit on number of connections... 32
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
using CFLAGS=-O2
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.