Re: Downtime

От Rafael Domiciano
Тема Re: Downtime
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi, Scott

Slony is a good software at all, we are using it now to replicate real data to a dedicate report server and to a data center and works very well.
But when we have some downtime like crash hardware, the time to put the slave node running, even as of less of 1 minute is too long for the company bussiness, loosing a great amount of sales authorizations.
So we need a solution that in the time of crash another server right in the moment could be working, receiving connections and transactioning.

This week I installed and used pg_cluster. I liked the idea of the software, and is that what i'm looking for. But pg_cluster seems that is no more upgraded, and there is a lot of bugs and errors.
I'm trying now the CyberCluster from CyberTech, developed under pgcluster.

I hope that you could understand the scenario.

Thnks,

Rafael Domiciano

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Rafael Domiciano
<rafael.domiciano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello for all,
>
> Our bussiness do not tolerate anymore downtime (the downtime is estimate at
> 10 hour / year - that involves upgrade of hardware, crash of hardware), and
> using Slony-I 1.2.15 I have waste time to put the slave node on production.
> So I'm studying some replications softwares, like pgpool, pg_cluster,
> pg_replicator.

What exactly was not good enough about slony?  We use it for automated
failover which is initiated by the application if it detects the
master go down.  Works pretty well.  Our downtime for unscheduled
maintenance is well under an hour a year with this setup.