Re: Error with returning SETOF Record

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Error with returning SETOF Record
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
A E wrote:
> I guess the question I have then is how do I return data from a
> select statement using the record datatype? This is only a test
> function I was trying to get info from, but my application is based
> on passing the table name to the function dynamically. How do I do
> this? The documentation is sketchy when it comes to the record
> datatype.

You need to specify in your query the column definition that will
actually be returned. Here's a simple example:

create table t1 (f1 int, f2 text);
insert into t1 values (1,'a');
insert into t1 values (2,'b');
create table t2 (f1 int, f2 float8);
insert into t2 values (3, 3.14);
insert into t2 values (4, 2.8);

create or replace function getrec(text) returns setof record as '
DECLARE  ft record;
begin  FOR ft IN EXECUTE ''SELECT * FROM '' || $1  LOOP      RETURN NEXT ft;  END LOOP;  return;
end;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

regression=# SELECT * FROM getrec('t1') AS (f1 int, f2 text); f1 | f2
(2 rows)

regression=# SELECT * FROM getrec('t2') AS (f1 int, f2 float8); f1 |  f2
(2 rows)

HTH,

Joe