Mis-interpreted extended character

От Andrew Biagioni
Тема Mis-interpreted extended character
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Our database ( (PostgreSQL) 7.3.5 ) uses Unicode encoding:

    egreek=# \l
             List of databases
        Name     |  Owner   | Encoding
    -------------+----------+----------
     egreek      | andrew   | UNICODE

For some reason, If I try to use an extended character (ASCII code > 127) in a string, I get this peculiar result:

    egreek=# SELECT  LOWER ( 'Niño' );
    egreek'#

(note:  it fails to see the closing single-quote character;  I hit CTRL-C to quit the operation)

and:

    egreek=# SELECT  LOWER ( 'Niño ' );
    ERROR:  Unicode >= 0x10000 is not supported

(note:  I added a space before the closing quote).

It looks to me like the '
ñ' character (spanish n with tilde - ASCII 164, as far as I can tell) is messing with the parser somehow.

Furthermore -- this is data coming from a form in a web site used globally, so I have little control over what is passed to me (me = PostgreSQL DB).  I can't (without lotsa hassles) "demand" that higher-ASCII characters be encoded on the way in, and decoded on the way out.

Any suggestions/info/hints?

Thanks,

                 Andrew