Re: re-install postgresql

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Тема Re: re-install postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Dear ashok,

Looks like you installed pgsql from the RPMS.

I feel the /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql script should be more verbose to
tell about the exact problem.

In any case the sure shot method of initialising and starting the postmaster
is to follow the instruction that comes in the INSTALL file of source
code.

You may do the following.

# su - postgres
# touch /var/log/pgsql
# chown postgres:  /var/log/pgsql
$ initdb /path/to/folder/to/store/data
$ pg_ctl -l /var/log/pgsql -D /path/to/folder/to/store/data start

check in /var/log/pgsql for errors.

Hope it will help.

Regds
mallah.