Re: Tunning postgresql

От Josué Maldonado
Тема Re: Tunning postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Stephen,

Stephen Robert Norris wrote:

> Speaking from long experimentation, you're much, much better off making
> sure your indices and queries are optimal that messing around with
> buffer space. Buffer space tuning might get you a few percent
> performance once you pick a reasonable value; query tuning can get you
> orders of magnitude.

I tunned my querys and all uses indexes and seems to be fast, but when
my client app acccess the pg data it seems a little slow. I installed
MSDE (mssql limited version) and copied the same data from pg to MSDE, I
was surprised cuz running the same query with the same data and MSDE
seems to be a little bit faster, after the changes in postgresql.conf
described in the previus message pg perfomance increased a little but
still there is no big difference against MSDE, considering hardware, pg
is in a real server (dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz, 2G RAM, 3 36G SCSI drives on a
RAID5) and the server is not in production, MSDE is in a AMD athlon 1Gh
with 256RAM y should expect better performace from pg. I wonder if ODBC
could be affect performance so high, my current ODBC driver is 7.03.02.

Thanks

--
Josué Maldonado.