Re: Postgres and MySQL Rosetta stone??

От Erik Jones
Тема Re: Postgres and MySQL Rosetta stone??
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jan 9, 2008, at 12:19 PM, leonardz wrote:

> I am reading through HeadFirst SQL (an OReilly book) which uses
> specific MySQLisms in its examples. I use postgres on our databases.
> Some examples are easy to work around, some are not .
>
> Is there a rosetta stone (table of commands in one and equivalents
> inthe other) available?

There are a few compatibility lists/articles around (have you tried
Google?), but they're often out of date since both databases are in
constant, active development.  I'd suggest getting a different book
that gives examples in Postgres or, failing that, read the Postgres
manual and learn how to translate them yourself.  There is a Postgres
list dedicated specifically to SQL/query questions as well (pgsql-sql@).

> In particular, MySQl seems to have richer string functions to parse
> out sub strings and als trim a string for automatic table insertion
> from long multifield strings.

PostgreSQL has extensive string maniputation functions:  http://
www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/functions-string.html

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

Сообщение: Re: Installation problem: failed to initialize lc_messages to ""
Сообщение: Re: Installation problem: failed to initialize lc_messages to ""