Re: multibyte support

От Dennis Gearon
Тема Re: multibyte support
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ma Siva Kumar wrote:

>Running postgresql-7.3.2-3 which came with Red Hat 9.0.
>
>Created a database with unicode encoding (in psql) as below:
>
>create database leatherlink with encoding='unicode'  template=leatherlinkdb;
>
>leatherlinkdb is an existing database with the default encoding SQL_ASCII.
>
>When I insert Chinsese strings into the database, it is taken in and displayed
>back properly. But there is an issue:
>
>In a varchar(100) field, about 15 characters fill up the whole space. Looking
>at the database entry using psql show the characters in hexadecimel values.
>
>The documentation mentions that version 7.3 and greater have mb support by
>default. How to configure the database to accept and store the multibyte
>characters?

This is something I've been wondereing about for quite awhile - does
pgsql measure bytes or chars when using UTF for varchars. It looks like
bytes, which is counter intuitive. What are the byte codes for those 15
chars. I think the maximum UTF char's byte lenghty is either 5 or 6
bytes.. Since there are SO many chinese people in the world and Chinese
should either be popluar or getting popular in the comptuer world, I
would have though thta the UTF consotium wold have made Chinese at a
point in the tables that it only required 2,3. or 4 bytes max, and made
obtuse languages up in the 5 to 6 byte part of the table.

--
"You are behaving like a man",
is compliment from an good woman.

От: Stephan Szabo
Сообщение: Re: Functional index definition
От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Proposal for a cascaded master-slave replication system