Re: multibyte support

От Ma Siva Kumar
Тема Re: multibyte support
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday 11 Nov 2003 9:02 pm, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> This is something I've been wondereing about for quite awhile - does
> pgsql measure bytes or chars when using UTF for varchars. It looks like
> bytes, which is counter intuitive. What are the byte codes for those 15
> chars. I think the maximum UTF char's byte lenghty is either 5 or 6
> bytes.. Since there are SO many chinese people in the world and Chinese
> should either be popluar or getting popular in the comptuer world, I
> would have though thta the UTF consotium wold have made Chinese at a
> point in the tables that it only required 2,3. or 4 bytes max, and made
> obtuse languages up in the 5 to 6 byte part of the table.

在您的系统中直接获 (entered through html form processed by php script) shows as
在您的系统 when seen with psql. Anything more
than this is rejected for lack of space (the size is varchar(100)

If someone can throw more light on this, I will be grateful.

Best regards

--
Integrated Management Tools for leather industry

Ma Siva Kumar,
BSG LeatherLink (P) Ltd,