Re: Application monitoring

От Oli Sennhauser
Тема Re: Application monitoring
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Steve

In my old company we had some shell skripts, monitoring all the oracle
stuff. I plan to transfer this to pg later. It was easy but verry stable
concept: 2 Servers where watching each other with the same
functionality: the master was checking all databases for availablity,
free space in tablespace (does not (yet) exist in postgreSQL), free
diskspace for oracle mountpoints, listener, apache, etc...
If there was a problem, after 3 alarms (3x5 minutes) a pikett dba was
called via pager-call etc.

If it helps to you, please let me know.

Oli

Steve Lane wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> We maintain a number of web-based applications that use postgres as
> the back end. We recently had an unfortunate situation where the
> hosted server was hacked and the client had some significant downtime.
> We proposed a custom monitoring app, written in PHP, that would
> periodically monitor (for example) the web server (Apache) and
> database (postgres) so that we’d know more quickly when something
> happened.
>
> The client responded that surely this problem of monitoring a
> database-backed web app was a known, solved problem, and wanted to
> know what other people did to solve the problem.
>
> So my question, hopefully not too off-topic: if you administer a
> mission-critical postgres install that needs high availability, what
> do you do for monitoring? Commercial, freeware or open source tool?
> Custom scripts? Anything I haven’t thought of?
>
> -- sgl

> Steve Lane
>
> Vice President
> The Moyer Group
> 14 North Peoria St Suite 2H
> Chicago, IL 60607
>
> Voice: (312) 433-2421 Email: slane@moyergroup.com
> Fax: (312) 850-3930 Web: http://www.moyergroup.com

Oli Sennhauser
Database-Engineer (Oracle & PostgreSQL)
Rebenweg 6
CH - 8610 Uster / Switzerland

Phone (+41) 1 940 24 82 or Mobile (+41) 79 450 49 14
e-Mail oli.sennhauser@bluewin.ch
Website http://mypage.bluewin.ch/shinguz/PostgreSQL/

Secure (signed/encrypted) e-Mail with a Free Personal SwissSign ID: http://www.swisssign.ch

Import the SwissSign Root Certificate: http://swisssign.net/cgi-bin/trust/import